Craftsman Homes For Sale in Charleston SC
A Craftsman house is a popular home style that emerged from the American Craftsman movement of the turn of the 20th century. Craftsman homes have several common features that make them recognizable and just as popular today as they were more than 100 years ago.
Craftsman homes have very unique features and distinctable style. Exteriors feature intentionally exposed beams, brackets. They have wide, open front porches which are held up by signature thick tapered columns usually. Often includes stone or stucco accents on both the interior and exterior.
Roof: Wide, overhanging eaves, often with exposed rafter tails, extend from low-pitched gable roofs and are sometimes decorated with simple gable brackets.
Wood elements: Woodwork, stained medium or dark, can be used to trim out rooms.
Front bay: Most homes have a large, street-facing bay window or series of bays extending from the living room.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- A very aesthetic form of exterior and in general details
- Incredibly durable due to the principles of its design
- Less likely to experience structural issues than more contemporary homes.
- They were built with functionality in mind and have family-friendly layouts.
- They retain their value and, as supply decreases, may increase in value more than a new build.
- Little bit more expensive
- Typically there’s no central air conditioning
- Possibly older plumbing and electrical work if the home hasn’t been remodeled.