Duplex Style Homes For Sale in Charleston SC
A duplex is a multi-family home that has two units in the same building. These two units always share a common wall, but the floor plan can vary. Units can be arranged either side by side or stacked on top of one another, each occupying an entire floor or two of the building.
In western countries, duplex houses may even house two families, where each floor is a separate dwelling altogether.
Duplex-style homes come in many different features and architectural creativity. They usually have: a common firewall, either separating two stacked apartments or separating two side by side two-story units, two separate entrances and driveways, shared outdoor area (yard or backyard).
Each unit is typically a mirror image of the other.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Duplexes are an excellent investment for rental property
- Many duplex home plans offer a garage for each unit
- Available in a broad range or architectural styles and sizes
- Noise may be a problem
- Increased maintenance responsibility
- Some parts of the house might be shared and if you are renting a part of it it becomes uncomfortable